Saturday, February 3, 2007

Oil Change


Today, I changed the oil on our Jeep Commander myself for the first time in the new garage at the station. This isn't my first time changing oil - I've been doing it since before I got my first car - but what I've found is that the later model car you own, the harder and messier it is when you go to change the oil. If I didn't live where I do, I would have taken it to a shop and got an oil change, fluids topped off, tires checked, and a multi-point inspection for $29.99. Instead, I bought 7 quarts of oil and a filter for almost $20 and changed the oil myself. Deal, huh? Sure it's a deal if you enjoy searching for the 13mm metric socket that fits on the oil plug of your "American made" vehicle; pulling out the plug and having a half quart of dirty oil flow all over your new mechanic's gloves, down your forearm, and exiting via your armpit onto the new garage floor; having to call your wife to look up the location of the oil filter on the internet, because the filter is under a skid plate and colored black, the same color as every other thing under the vehicle; finding out that the latest and greatest of oil filter wrenches (two different designs, mind you) won't fit in the tiny opening where the filter is located; finally getting the filter off after pulling your shoulder out of socket and having another quart of oil spill down your freshly cleaned arm; taking forever to get the new filter back on because you can't see the threads; putting the plug back in; pouring new oil in the crank case; cleaning up all that mess you made; disposing of the old oil and filter; and last but not least, having your wife chew you out for ruining another shirt. If you enjoy all that - then I guess it' all worth the $9.99 you could have paid a mechanic to avoid all of the above. Personally, I would rather get a sharp stick stuck in my eye.

Now - on to the van!

No comments: